How do I lose my belly fat?! Sound familiar? 95% of my clients starting out on their health and fitness journey ask me this question within the first 10 minutes during their personal consultation. Whether they are returning to training after having a baby, post injury, pre-wedding/holiday or have simply hit a wall in their existing training regime, getting the 'perfect abs' is always at the forefront of our body beautiful minds.
Those of you who have read some of my previous articles or follow my blog () will know that I spend a lot of time trying to reeducate clients on the most effective way to train for their specific body types. My aim is to get people off the treadmill steam train and re-focused on a back to basics fitness approach, utilising strength and conditioning style training.
Some of my most successful client breakthroughs have been with female clients who previously struggled for years with excess weight around their middle, yo-yo dieting and a genuine belief that low intensity aerobic exercise was the only way to 'fix it'! I have been able to show these female clients that by eating more and lifting weights they were able to completely change the look of their bodies and crucially...flatten those bellies!!!! You've heard me say it many times before..."fitness training and nutrition must go hand in hand for a great body". Every body is unique so my training program for you will differ to the program I would design for your best friend. What remains constant for everyone is good nutrition so in this article I thought I'd recommend 5 key foods that are great to bust that belly!
1. Tomatoes - Packed with carotenoids, beta carotene, alpha carotene and lycopene, all nutrients linked to smaller waistlines, these red juicy fruits are a great addition to your daily diet.
2. Mushrooms - I've included these guys on the list for their high vitamin D content which if deficient in your diet may make it harder to shift fat. They are also a veggie that goes great with so many dishes so it's easy to throw in regularly.
3. Raspberries - Especially high in fibre and with recent studies showing that people who eat higher fibre diets have smaller waist circumference and weigh less what's not to love about this sweet tasty fruit!
4. Coconut Oil. Start introducing Coconut Oil into your calorie controlled diet. A recent study showed that cooking with Coconut Oil can increase good HDL cholesterol and reduce waist circumference as well as other health benefits.
5. Lean White Fish. Fish in general is an excellent source of protein that should feature extensively in your diet and white fish specifically has been proven to decrease visceral fat on your belly. Add lean white fish to your diet if you want to lose belly fat including Pollock and Cod.
A combination of increasing these 5 foods to a balanced diet and adding strength training is the answer to achieving your flat belly!! To check out my clients testimonial check out
Make yourself a priority again!!
If you are interested in making a positive change in your life through improving your health and wellbeing or would like to discuss any of the issues raised in this article you can find out further information on my website or contact me directly by emailing .